top of page


Updated: May 14

Quinn’s journey began on Oct 12, 2023 when she climbed up on a counter at the babysitter. She fell off, landing on her head and becoming unconscious. We took an ambulance to JPCH where Quinn would remain for over a month. We got to the hospital, and rushed to do tests. A CT showed that she had a bleed and some small clots in her brain. We would be admitted for monitoring, hoping she would regain consciousness soon.

Medical staff were uncertain as to why she wasn’t waking up- various tests, labs and scans were completed and came back normal. She occasionally started having tremors, which we thought may be seizures. She seemed to be uncomfortable and in pain, which we treated but didn’t want to further decrease her level of consciousness. They also didn’t want to treat the clots in her brain yet, as her brain also had a bleed.

By the night of Oct 15 she still hadn’t regained consciousness. That night while we were sleeping, I woke up to hear her gasping for air and saw her O2 sats plummeting. Staff came running in and a code blue was called, and they attempted to get her breathing again. She was rushed for a CT and we were admitted to PICU where they kept her heavily sedated to allow for neuroprotection.

The clots had grown and oxygen was not getting to her brain for a period of time. She was diagnosed with a hypoxic brain injury to the white matter of her brain. We were uncertain what this would mean for Quinn going forward. She stayed sedated and also was on heparin to treat the clots for a week in PICU, then we were moved to peds to begin Quinn’s recovery. She had lost all of her strength, and motor skills. She could no longer talk.

Quinn had an NG tube for her nutrition, was weaning off sedatives, and we were working on encouraging her to move all of her limbs. We continued to do tests and run labs to figure out why she had such an extreme reaction to a fall. Nothing was ever found out to be abnormal.

Quinn slowly progressed. And by the end of November we were able to go home from the hospital. Still had the NG tube, was on thickened fluids, we would have various specialty appointments, and attend physio/therapies multiple times a week.

Quinn continued to progress. She started being able to move her limbs, she could hold herself up to sit. She learned now to put herself into sitting. She began to crawl. She figured out how to stand. And she is now walking. She does therapies (speech, OT & PT) at Alvin Buckwold Children’s Development Program 2-3 times a week. She has regained some of her speech. Uses about 20 words, and is learning some sign language. These skills both continue to progress slowly but surely.

The NG tube came out after Christmas, and has been able to stay out as Quinn’s intake has been great. We are currently weaning the thickened fluids and she is tolerating that well.

Her progress has been amazing, and we are so grateful for the hospital care we received and the outpatient care we continue to receive.

Quinn is silly, smart, stubborn and beautiful. She loves playing with her older sister, Paw Patrol, puppies, babies and being outside. Grateful to Jen and the Little Wonders program, for letting all these wonderfully rare kiddos be able to have their stories told. This program brings people together and makes it feel not so lonely to be a medical parent.


bottom of page